divorce lawyer
contact divorce attorney

Family Law

Contemp or Enforcement of Court Orders

Judges take orders issued by the court very seriously and expect the parties associated with the order to follow it. If a party intentionally fails to comply, a contempt action can be brought by the injured party asking the court to intervene and order the non-compliant party to comply. If, after a hearing, contempt is found, the judge may order the person to correct the behavior and follow the order, pay a certain amount of money to the injured party, pay all or part of the injured person’s attorney fees, and in extreme cases, send the non-compliant party to jail.

If you are unable to comply with the order, or if you are injured because of another person’s failure to comply with an order, please seek legal advice before acting. I have extensive experience representing people in contempt actions.